Who are Cristal? - They are passionate about titanium. Their whole business revolves around titanium, and their our goal is to do it better than anyone else. Cristal are a fully integrated titanium producer from mineral sands mining of ores containing it:
- To supplier of raw materials used in process such as chlorine
- To production of TiO2 powder used primarily in paint and plastic
- To production of ultrafine TiO2
- To production of commercial grade TiCl4 for metal production
- To Ti metal manufacture
Why did they pursue an RBI project?
- Meet Cristal Process Safety Management (PSM) standards and more stringent local requirement
- Meet asset management requirements for Mechanical Integrity as outlined in the five year PSM plan submitted to HS
- Understand risk in the plant, reducing unexpected failures on critical equipment
- Demonstrate the significant value attainable through the implementation of Risk Based Inspection
- Establish an RBI program to be utilized at other Cristal sites
- Integration of RBI - How does the project become a program?
- Have to incorporate RBI into inspection management system - Communication and training are not enough, need to establish accountability to follow the RBI process
- Inspector involvement - If they had helped you implement RBI, they would have more ownership
- Understand what data is valuable - data mining, data sources (50-60% of your effort) - how much inspection/SAP history should be reviewed to get the most value
- Implement per unit/area vice per fluid - risk distribution would be better accepted by stakeholder
- Acceptable risk difficult to define - (management responsibility) emphasize that RBIs purpose is prioritization, not absolute risk evaluation
- Try to influence global IT team earlier on the value of the project and software - need to proactively engage global IT and sell them the value of the tool
- Constantly communicate risk - tell them a problem that RBI found: examples: low inspection effectiveness, new damage mechanisms identified, problems found before failure by RBI inspections.
This was presented at the Meridium Conference 1/28/2014 in San Antonio, Texas.